Twits

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Groth stroms to frist final.

Jarmila Groth stormed into her first Sony Ericsson WTA Tour final, crushing Edina Gallovits in the semifinals of the Landsky Lighting Guangzhou International Women's Open in just 38 minutes, 6-0 6-1.

Groth, the No.1 seed at the International-level event, broke serve five times - winning almost half of Gallovits' first serve points and 86% of her second serve points - and never lost her own serve for the lopsided win, a near mirror image of their only previous meeting, which Groth won with the loss of one game too.

"I'm the No.1 seed so there's always pressure, but I've been trying to play my best and so far it's working," Groth commented afterwards. "I'm very happy to be in the final. I've had a great week so far here in Guangzhou. I'm excited to make it past the semis as it was my second semifinal this year."

Groth, currently ranked No.55, is projected to crack the Top 50 for the very first time after this week, a move that has been helped by reaching fourth rounds at the French Open and Wimbledon - her first second week runs at majors.

"It's very exciting to finally get inside the Top 50," Groth added. "I've had injuries and every time I got close in the past, I couldn't play. It's my first final and I'll do everything possible to win, so fingers crossed I can go higher than just Top 50."

In a second semifinal between two players hovering just outside the Top 100, No.103 Alla Kudryavtseva won the first eight games and held off a late surge from No.101 Zhang Shuai, beating the Chinese rising star by a 6-0 6-4 scoreline. Kudryavtseva's best Tour finishes before this week were five quarterfinals.

"I played very solid today. She was tired from her last match but I think we both showed some good tennis in the second set," Kudryavtseva said. "Zhang has great potential. She's obviously a hard worker and still very young. I'm sure she'll have a good future. I'm happy with myself and how I was able to close it out."

Groth and Kudryavtseva are tied in their head-to-head, 1-1.

"I'm looking forward to the final," Kudryavtseva said. "Jarka's playing very well and so am I, so we'll see. We play the final at 2pm tomorrow so it's going to be another killer. I hope it's going to be cloudy tomorrow!"

No comments:

Post a Comment