Twits

Monday, November 1, 2010

Clijsters wins Doha

Kim Clijsters started strongly, lost her way a little and finished fast in the final of the WTA Championships - Doha 2010, scoring a 6-3 - 6-3 win over Caroline Wozniacki for her third career title at the season-ender.

Coming into this year's event, Clijsters was the only player in the field who had a winning record at the WTA Championships in previous years (she had been 15-6 here, with none of the other seven players better than even). She was also on a roll in big matches, winning all five finals since returning to tennis last year.

All of that may have played into a very fast start for Clijsters, who burst out to a 6-3 4-1 lead; Wozniacki, who had won more matches than anyone this year, did not surrender - in fact she raised her level in a big way, upping the aggression and winning seven of the next eight games to win the second set and break for 1-0 in the first game of the third. The match would turn once more, however.

Clijsters broke right back in the second game of the third set and was again the frontrunner from there, firing an inside out forehand winner to break again for 4-2, holding easily for 5-2 then holding again two games later to complete the victory.

"At the moment I'm kind of relieved it's over. It seemed like it would never end," Clijsters said on court right after the match. "It was a tough battle. We should some great tennis and some great fitness - I think we showed the crowd some great women's tennis tonight. This was my first time in the Middle East and it been a very amazing experience."

Having also won this event in 2002 and 2003, Clijsters is the fifth player in WTA history to win here three or more times (Martina Navratilova won here eight times, with Steffi Graf winning four times and Monica Seles three times).

Clijsters won her fifth WTA title of the year, following triumphs in Brisbane, Miami, Cincinnati and the US Open; the only player who won more titles than Clijsters this year was Wozniacki (the Dane won six titles this year).

Wozniacki has a lot to be happy about after this week, making it to one of her biggest career finals (last year's US Open final was arguably her only bigger final, and she fell to Clijsters there too) and, by virtue of beating Francesca Schiavone in round robin play, securing the year-end No.1 ranking - she rose to No.1 on October 11 and is the 10th player ever to finish a year No.1.

"This may be disappointing for Caroline, but she has a great future," Clijsters added. "I also have to congratulate her on making it to the No.1 ranking."

"This has been a fantastic week for me - the support is always amazing here," Wozniacki said. "I had a great week. Kim just played amazing today and she really deserved to win."

4 comments:

Carlos said...

The Big Bunny has improved but if you take away the on court coaching she would have won half the titles that she has won. She is a bloated number one. She has problems beating top ten players and can't beat top 10 players back to back. The press call her "Sunshine"? I don't buy it, she has a temper. The Big Bunny is all smiles when things are going her way on court, when it doesn't she acts like a spoil racket throwing brat.


I did expect her to reach the and lose in the final.


If she could she would create her own tournament this off season just for the hell to rack up points.


Good for Kim Kong but I'm thinking she will be a step slower next year.


One note, I used to like this tournament more when it was called the "Virgina Slims" (who was the sponsor) and it had the top 16 players. I don't like the top 8 seeds nor the format. The Bali IMO is a leftover tournament.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

There is no doubt in my mind that The Bunny is possibly, the most bloated number 1. made QF or better at only 2 slams this year. I don't care what anyone says, the only reason players play is to win slams basically, and slams there for are the most important tournaments, deserving more than just 2,000 points for winning. Indian Wells and Miami should hold more points than Madrid and Beijing because, really I think everyone would rather have Indian Wells or Miami than Madrid or Beijing.

Im thinking I should become WTA CEO because, there are ALOT of changes I would LOVE to make!

Wouldn't be surprising, selfish, point hungry player. She is the type of player, I simply do not like.

Kim Kong will defiantly be slowing down next year, We will be seeing a lot more 'AUS OPEN 2010' performances from her next year.

I also liked that format way better, 16 players, no round robin just a 16 player tournament, the top 16 players of the year. Round Robin isn't exactly my cup of tea. I think it was also known as The Grand Slam Cup? I think for a while?

I don't like Bali, I see no point for it. As for why I did not blog about it.

Carlos said...

You have my vote as WTA CEO!


You are right Captain, The Big Bunny is the most bloated number one. I believe she has fewer titles than JJ when she reached the number one spot.


I took a look at Wikipedia originally the tournament was called Virginia Slims Championship from 1971 to '78 because they were the sponsors. Then Avon was the sponsor and was known as Avon Championships from '79 to '82. Virgina Slims became the sponsor again from '83 to '94. Because it didn't have a sponsor in '95 it went with the name WTA Tour Championships. From there it has taken a few name changes depending who has been the sponsor.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

Ahahaha thank you Carlos :) Maybe some day...

I pretty sure JJ had and JJ had also done more career wise.

Ah okay, I think the Grand Slam Cup may have been some other tournament then perhaps.

Post a Comment