Twits

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Zvonareva becomes the fitfh Russian to crack the top 2.

Vera Zvonareva has become the fifth Russian to crack the Top 2, ascending from No.3 to No.2 after last year's WTA Championships points fell off.

Zvonareva, who had set new career-highs of No.4 and No.3 over the last few months, joins Anastasia Myskina, Maria Sharapova, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Dinara Safina amongst the Russians to break the world's Top 2.

Zvonareva maintains her focus on tennis: "I don't really think about statistics. If I do my best on the court all the time and I'm able to prepare myself to go out there and perform my best, the results and all the rankings will come. I'm just trying to concentrate on my game, trying to improve all the time. Every time I'm out there I'm challenging myself. That's the most important thing for me."

Sharapova and Safina are the only Russians ever to make it to the No.1 spot.

Following a shining performance at her home event in Moscow, Maria Kirilenko made her return to the world's Top 20, rising from No.24 to No.19. Kirilenko had already been in the Top 20 for 11 total weeks before, four in 2006 and seven more in 2008 - she now spends her 12th career week in there.

A former teen phenom's return to the main circuit at the age of 28 has finally paid off on the rankings, as Mirjana Lucic rose from No.102 to No.98, her first time in the Top 100 since July 9, 2000 - on July 10, 2000, the points from her semifinal run at Wimbledon in 1999 fell off, and she fell from No.58 to No.141.

4 comments:

Carlos said...

I still say Divapova doesn't count as a Russian.


Vera's comment are laughable, if she doesn't think about "statistics" why does she chokes?


Nice to see The Princess back on track, and a personal message to McCurse: Keep your paws off The Princess! :P


Lucic, yeah I remember her. I read an article on what happened to her, but to tell you the truth I don't remember any of it. That is how much I care about her and as you know Captain, memory gets better with age. :P Please refresh my memory.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

I don't think many people do!

Maybe Vera is trying to convince herself she doesn't care. But I did have to think about her statement for a bit and did find it quite funny!

Yeah its great to see her back in the top 20! Maybe top 10 next year? :P Yes McCurse better keep her hands off her! Shes doing just fine in the normal adidas at the moment!

Well to sum her story up quickly she had financial and personal problems and then took a long break from tennis. I think the article you may have read was back in 2006 when she explained she had to stop and escape from her abusive father.

Its a sad story, I find it very alike to Jelena Dokic in ways.

Carlos said...

Thank you Captain for refreshing my memory. A sad story indeed.


In order for The Princess to crack the top ten she must acquire mental toughness. She can start by hiring a sports psychologist.


BTW in Doha The Big Stuffed Bunny's group is made up of players that she has their number on them, IMO

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

It really is a sad story!

Maybe I could switch from journalism to sportrs pshycology, and she could hire me! :D

In some ways I do agree with that Carlos!

Post a Comment