Twits

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Jelena and Bojana set up QF in Malaysia

Bojana Jovanovski and Urszula Radwanska played for the first time in qualifying for last week's event in Doha. The Serb prevailed then in a nail-biter, 13-11, in a third set tie-break.

Just over a week later, the two were at it again, this time with a berth in the BMW Malaysian Open quarterfinals at stake. Once again, Jovanovski survived a thriller, 1-6 7-5 6-4, rallying from a 6-1 4-2 deficit.

"It was so hot today, and I didn't have too much time to prepare for these conditions," said the 19-year-old Jovanovski, who is the second-highest ranked teen in the world at No.55. "I came from Doha, where it wasn't nearly as hot and I played a long match today. So I'm very glad I won."

Jovanovski has only been in one previous quarterfinal, beating Flavia Pennetta in Sydney earlier this year en route to a semifinal showing, her career-best result. This time she will take on Jelena Dokic.

"I will try to be recovered and ready for that match," the eighth-seeded Jovanovski said. "I will try to serve better to get some easy points. Jelena is a good player. It will be an interesting match for sure."

As for Dokic, she followed up her first round upset of No.1 seed Francesca Schiavone with a 3-6 7-6(6) 6-2 defeat of Kurumi Nara. The Japanese served for the match at 6-5 in the second set and was two points from victory at 6-6 in the second set tie-break before Dokic took charge.

"I'd never played her before. I didn't know what to expect and how to play her," Dokic said. "She was really getting everything back. She didn't make one mistake until the third set. I knew if I won the second set I would have a chance in the third. I really fought to the end in that second set and it paid off."

Also advancing Wednesday were sixth-seeded Ayumi Morita and qualifier Anne Kremer. This is Morita's best showing since she was a semifinalist here last year and Kremer is into her first quarterfinal since Budapest in 2007.

"Today's match was my fifth match in five days, so I am quite exhausted, as it has been quite tough playing through the qualifiers," Kremer said. "I will rest for a day before my next match, so hopefully that will do me good."

No.2 seed Marion Bartoli and No.3 seed and defending champion Alisa Kleybanova will be among those in action Thursday as second round play wraps up.

No comments:

Post a Comment