Twits

Friday, March 18, 2011

Vika and Caro send a message to Japan, Vika forced to retire.

Caroline Wozniacki and Victoria Azarenka unfurled a Japanese flag following their quarter-final match against Victoria Azarenka Thursday morning at the BNP Paribas Open, displaying the words, “Our thoughts are with you! Caroline & Victoria.”

“I have been looking at the news, and it's just devastating to see what's going on in Japan and all the families and people affected there,” said Wozniacki. “We just wanted to show that we're thinking about them over there. It's tough for us to do something, but at least we thought this was the least we could do.”

The night before they were to face off for a semi-final spot at the WTA premier event, Wozniacki and Azarenka came together to write the message. “I think it was nice, and Victoria helped me out, what to write, also,” said the 20-year-old Dane. “We just thought that this was gonna be a nice gesture in the match.”
The match ended on a bittersweet note for the two good friends, when Azarenka retired with a left hip injury just three games into the match.

“Victoria is one of my best friends on the tour, and to see her in pain on the court and to see her get injured was not nice for sure,” said Wozniacki. “I would like to have won it in another way, but I'm through to the semi-finals. I'm happy to be there. I'm looking forward to my next match.”

The WTA No. 1 will look to reach the final for a second straight year in Indian Wells when she next faces the winner between past champion Maria Sharapova and unseeded Peng Shuai, and felt confident about her form.

“I know that if a player has to beat me, either she has to overpower me or she needs to stand there for hours and hours,” she said. “It's a good feeling to have because I feel that I'm in good shape. I can stand there for hours and I can take my chances. I also think I have developed my aggressive game. So I can step it up if I need to, and I think that the players feel that.

“At the same time, it's very important for me that I go out to every single match, I'm 100 percent focused, and that's what I am every time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment