Twits

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Anna Advance, Dinara Loses



The Bank of the West Classic began its amazing 40th edition on Monday and the most dramatic match came at the very end of the night, as Kimiko Date Krumm - who turns 40 years young in a few months - rallied back to beat former No.1 Dinara Safina in three sets, 4-6 7-6(0) 6-2.

Date Krumm, who defeated Safina in the first round of the French Open in May to become the oldest player ever to beat a Top 10 player, lost five games in a row to fall behind 6-4 2-0, seemingly headed for a straight set departure. But the Japanese veteran didn't let go, hanging tough with Safina from the baseline and pouncing with a love tie-break, then easing through the decider in 35 minutes.

"I had a short break after Wimbledon and this was my first time playing on hardcourt since Miami, so we weren't sure what would happen," Date Krumm said. "I played against Safina at Roland Garros but that was a different situation. I tried to forget about that and stay focused. I watched a DVD with my coach last night so I had a good idea of how I needed to play."

"In the important moments she played well," said Safina, who was playing her first tournament since the week before Wimbledon. "It was my first match back from injury, so I'm pretty positive and will keep working hard to improve day by day. My back feels fine, and that is the most important thing."

Another former No.1 trying to get back to her former form, Ana Ivanovic, had a better time, beating Alisa Kleybanova handily, 6-3 6-2. Ivanovic had lost to Kleybanova in three of their four previous meetings, including their last two.

"I'm really happy to see the things I've been working on in the past month show on the court," Ivanovic said. "I was getting to every ball and managed to keep the rallies going so I didn't have to pull the trigger too early. Alisa is a tough opponent and this is probably her best surface, so I'm very happy to win."

2 comments:

Sunny nine said...

Dinara is trying to remain positive which is something that is evident from your quote and her last FB entry. I still can't believe that there isn't something in the back of her mind regarding the back injury since she was told it could be career threatening.

Regarding Ivanovic. It would be interesting if she could follow the comeback kid, Chakvetadze, and win this week.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

If I was Dinara I probably would not have playd the Australian Open, even in defending 1400 points I think that could have made it worse!

Heres hoping Ana can win and get on the comeback train with other Anna, she definatly coul win which is a good sign!

Post a Comment