Twits

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Anna and Johanna to meet in final



Anna Chakvetadze continued her comeback from defeat theme in her semi final in Slovenia. Anna overcame the odds to make the final, rallying from a 6-0 first set to beat Polona Hercog in front of her home crowd, 0-6 6-2 6-2.

Chakvetadze, who saved two match points to beat No.6 seed Vera Dushevina in the quarterfinals, lost the first seven games of her match against No.7 seed Hercog on Saturday before making her move, eventually grinding past the aggressive Slovenian in an hour and 48 minutes in their first career meeting.

Chakvetadze will be playing her first final since New Haven in August 2008, where she was runner-up to Caroline Wozniacki.

"I'm very excited. It has been almost two years with no final, now finally here," Chakvetadze said. "In the beginning I didn't know what to do. I didn't know her game too well. She was hitting the lines and making almost no mistakes, but in the second set I changed my tactics a bit and it worked."

Awaiting Chakvetadze in the final will be Johanna Larsson, who reached her first career Sony Ericsson WTA Tour final when another Russian, Ksenia Pervak, retired with a right wrist injury from the second semifinal while trailing, 6-2 1-0.

Larsson commented "This place is like a fairytale. It's so pretty in Portoroz, I'm always happy to win, but I feel sorry for Ksenia. It's a part of the game though, and I was feeling good out there. It's my first final - I'm going to go out there and enjoy the match. Tomorrow is a new day and we'll see what it brings."

This will be the first time the two play each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment