Twits

Friday, July 23, 2010

Top Teenager into QF's



The highest-ranked teenager in the world raced into the quarterfinals of the Banka Koper Slovenia Open on Thursday, as Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova crushed Rossana de los RĂ­os, 6-3 6-0.

Pavlyuchenkova, the No.3 seed, broke away from 4-3 in the first set with eight straight games, cruising to victory over the Paraguayan in 67 minutes.

"I'm happy with my performances so far here," said Pavlyuchenkova, who has won 25 of the last 30 games she has played, having rallied from 0-4 in the first set to beat Alberta Brianti in the first round, 7-5 6-1. "I came here to do my best and play well, so we'll see how things go the rest of the tournament."

Awaiting Pavlyuchenkova in the quarters is Johanna Larsson, who was down 5-3 first set but won 10 of the next 11 games to beat Maria Elena Camerin, 7-5 6-1.

"I struggled in the beginning, but I just kept going," Larsson said. "I didn't want to come off court feeling I didn't give it my 100%. I had to do something."

Larsson reached her first Sony Ericsson WTA Tour quarterfinal at Prague last week and has now equaled that feat one week later.

Other winners were Ksenia Pervak and Anastasiya Yakimova. Pervak beat qualifier Alexandra Panova in the first match of the day, rallying from 1-4 in the second set to win, 6-2 7-5; while Yakimova, also a qualifier, advanced past No.1 seed Jelena Jankovic - who injured her left ankle - with a 1-6 6-3 1-0 score.

No comments:

Post a Comment