Twits

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Is Chakvetadze finding her form?


Sara Errani had been one of the best players at the Banka Koper Slovenia Open over the last few years, winning 10 of her last 11 matches at the event; but what happened Wednesday night was a far cry from that, as the No.4-seeded Italian crashed hard to Anna Chakvetadze.

Errani had won in 2008 and came close to beating the world number 1 Dinara Safina losing 7-5 in the final set but against Chakvetadze in the second round this year she was totally outclassed, losing 6-1 6-2 in only 58 minutes.

Chakvetadze told reports after the match "I was expecting more from her side, but I don't think she played her best at all, I just took my chances and I'm happy to be in the quarterfinals playing in my first year here."

Chakvetadze was ranked as high as No.5 a few years ago but in the spring fell out of the Top 100 after a disappointing last 12 months; she is showing improved form as of late, and now is in her second quarterfinal of the season.

"I want to get back to the top, but it's tough to say," Chakvetadze added. "I haven't played the Top 10 players a lot recently. I played Serena a few weeks ago and lost pretty easily. I have to play more to get the feel again." (She lost her 2nd round Wimbledon match to Serena 6-0 6-1)

In the her semi-final were she picked off. No.6 seed Vera Dushevina. Dushevina had a 5-3 third set lead and two match points at 5-4, but Anna Chakvetadze kicked it into high gear once she saved that second match point, winning the last 11 points of the match to make it past her countrywoman, 2-6 6-3 7-5.

"After I won the game to get to 5-all, things went pretty quickly. I was just stronger at the end," Chakvetadze said. "The first set was pretty horrible. I really need to work on my strokes. I'll have to play at another level to win tomorrow."

So is Chakvetadze back? Or is this her lucky week?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, Chakvetadze will continue to win.

Post a Comment