Twits

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Caro scrapes into semi-final.



Caroline Wozniacki booked her place in the semi-finals of the e-Boks Sony Ericsson Open with a three-set victory over Julia Goerges.

After being taken to a decider in her quarter-final encounter with Iveta Benesova yesterday, world number three Wozniacki again thrilled her home crowd as she rallied to defeat German opponent Goerges 3-6 6-0 7-6 (7/3) in two hours and four minutes.

Next up for Wozniacki is a meeting with Russian qualifier Anna Chakvetadze, who defeated Polona Hercog, the sixth seed from Slovenia, 6-4 6-3.

Second seed Li Na of China made short work of booking her place in the semi-finals as she swept aside eighth-seeded Angelique Kerber of Germany 6-1 6-2.

Her opponent in the next round will be Klara Zakopalova, the seventh seed from the Czech Republic, who posted a 6-1 7-5 triumph over unseeded Romanian Sorana Cirstea.

Here is some of what Chakvetadze had to say in her post-match press confrence:

"It looked easy, but it was not, and to be honest I'm actually not very happy with the way I played today, I made a lot of unforced errors and my movement wasn't as good as I want it to be. Still, it's a good result for me to be in the semis here and I'm excited. I think I'm still far away from my best, but on the upside I'm getting my confidence back and starting to play better. I need to play a Top 10 player to see how close I am. I've lost to Caroline twice and never beaten her; we haven't played for two years and I'm sure she's improved since then. I'll try to play my best and enjoy it."

No comments:

Post a Comment