Twits

Thursday, February 10, 2011

It hurts being world number 1.

It's been a rough couple of days for world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki. Late last month she blew a match point in the Australian Open semifinals and went on to lose to Li Na. It was her fifth straight Grand Slam without reaching the final. Then, this past weekend, Wozniacki was playing in a Federation Cup tie against Great Britain. She won her singles point and took to the court with 18-year-old Mai Grage for the decisive doubles match.

During the match, she was drilled in the face with a shot by Heather Watson.

Wozniacki took a brief medical timeout but returned to the court to finish the match. She and Grage lost, giving Great Britain the Group A victory.

To add insult to (literal) injury, Wozniacki is on the verge of losing her No. 1 ranking to Kim Clijsters this week. With two wins in Open Gaz de France, Clijsters will pass Wozniacki it WTA rankings points and be the new top-ranked player in the world when the rankings are released Monday.

10 comments:

Carlos said...

Ouch! I would suggest to her to rub her lucky rabbit's foot. That would be her left leg.

Her reflexes let her down she had plenty of time to react to the ball.

The Big Stuffed Bunny is not a good doubles player. Think about it, her friends Aggie and Azarenka are good doubles players and good friends of her yet both Azarenka and Aggie have never played doubles with The Big Bunny.

Anonymous said...

Ha, that would be funny if the BUNNY showed up with a catchers mask from now on.

Personally, I can't wait till she loses the #1 ranking and falls out of the top 10 hopefully.

That said, there always seems to be someone in the top 10 that I really don't like. It used to be that pesky Henin!

Carlos said...

Hahaha Caps321. I was picturing her with a hockey mask ala Jason from Friday the 13.

She doesn't deserve the number one ranking at least Henin did.

Who would be a huggable and love-able number rank player?

Anonymous said...

Don't you call Kirilenko the princess? (I like that nick name too!) I'd love for her to make in to the top 10 but somehow doubt it unless she gets more consistent.

Btw, I'm starting to think "the book" might be out on the bunny. She's suffered some humiliating loses lately and maybe the higher ranked players will start paddling her on court regularly!

Anonymous said...

Just to be clear - by higher ranked I'm talking 20+.

Carlos said...

I do call her The Princess Caps 321, I'm glad you like the nickname. Whether she makes it to the top ten or not she is still huggable and love-able if you know what I mean. ;) I agree with you she is not a top 10 player but she can be a top 15 if she gets her gear going. She needs mental toughness ASAP.


You are also right about The Big Stuffed Bunny players like Petko, Wicki, Wicki, Wicki, Cibulkova, Zheng, Kuzzie, kleybanova to name a few, are more than capable to take down the The Big Bunny. Zheng and Cibulkova already have knocked the stuffing out her.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

Lovable world number 1 = PETKO :)

Huggable world number 1 = Aggie :)

Chances either will happen = Minimal!

Yes Carlos we all know the Princess is very huggable and lovable!

Carlos said...

I like to point that out every chance I get. :P

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

Hahah, just in the very very very odd occasion if someone were to forget!

Carlos said...

Ha! I could be in a funeral and I tell a total stranger next to me, 'Hey The Princess is huggable and love-able'; because I'm that type of guy: huggable and love-able. :P

Post a Comment