Twits

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Petko dances all the way to the Quarter Finals.


The hits just keep coming in the women's draw at the Australian Open with a little history thrown in as well.

Tonight on Rod Laver Arena, three-time grand slam champion and the winner in Melbourne in 2008, Maria Sharapova, was bundled out by 30th seed Andrea Petkovic, 6-2 6-3.

It is the German's first time into a grand slam quarter-final and she celebrated with her now trademark shuffle on court, known as the 'Petko Dance'.

It all started with her new coach, Petar Popovic, back in New York last September when her early tournament form at the US Open wasn't so good.

"I play much better since I do the dance. So for everybody if something is not going well, just do a little dance," the 23-year-old Petkovic told the crowd.

Sharapova's exit before the quarter-finals follows fellow stars Venus Williams, Ana Ivanovic, Justine Henin and Sam Stosur, who failed to make the final eight having been there before.

"You know it was such a tough match. Just two or three points and Maria comes back. I'm just happy I closed it out in the end," Petkovic said. "It's my primary goal to compete with the great champions and maybe become one myself one day."

Petko also offered some advice for aspiring young tennis player, "Never listen to your parents! And you end up on Rod Laver Arena" after explain her father tried to convince her to give tennis up and focus on an academic career, and aren't we all glad she stayed with tennis!

And now with Maria Sharapova out the we will have a Champion at Melbourne Park who as never lifted the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup.

7 comments:

Carlos said...

Captain when I read your article I said to myself, 'If Petko is 33 years old than I'm 80! Can someone hand me over my false teeth?' :P

Divapova won matches not so convincingly her on court time for both the second and third round were more then two hours. Clearly she was ripe for an upset. She also had to attend some wedding later this year. :P

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

Oh god! Ahahahahah! Thank you for pointing out my error :) That was a little embarrassing!

She hasn't really impressed me since before the injury, there was the RG QF, but her win's there weren't that big or impressive, then she was nearly double bageled buy Cibulkova! Yes all her attention must be set to her wedding! :P

BTW did you get my email?

Carlos said...

Captain I commented about your email in a previous post but is worth repeating, thank you so much. You are truly the total package! Come to think about it none of the Victoria Secret models have anything on you. For some reason the lyrics to this song came into my mind, "A tall walking big black cat", "That long cool woman had it all" although you are much taller and cooler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qKOv3VBJcc

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

I just found your earlier comment! Ahaha :) Thank you! Ahaha well I don't know about that but thank you anyway! :) Ahahah why thank you! You're very kind!

Just wondering, out of interest, do you happen to live near Los Angeles?

Carlos said...

I live in L.A. in fact I live in Hollywood.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

Really!? Because I am going to LA in July! Ahaha

Carlos said...

Wow! That is a nice surprise Captain. A celestial beauty coming to the city of Angels.

Post a Comment