Twits

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Justine Henin again retires from tennis.


Justine Henin has announced her retirement from professional tennis due to an elbow injury. A seven-time Grand Slam champion, Henin retired from the sport for the first time in May 2008, the first player in WTA history to do so while ranked No.1. The Belgian made a successful comeback at the start of 2010, reaching back-to-back finals at Brisbane and the Australian Open and capturing titles at Stuttgart and 's-Hertogenbosch in the spring. During a fourth round loss to Kim Clijsters at Wimbledon she suffered a right elbow injury and did not play for the remainder of the 2010 season.

Henin played one tournament in 2011, the Australian Open, and reached the third round before falling to Svetlana Kuznetsova.

On her official website, Henin said the following: "I have unfortunately not good news. I spent the last days undergoing various medical tests and they have confirmed that my elbow has been damaged by my adventure in Australia... After having well considered and following the advice of doctors, it is now clear and I accept that my career here finally ends. Even though it's hard, very hard, while I came back with a tremendous fighting spirit.

"I turn, and this time, an incredible page of my life... What a wonderful trip I have experienced during all these years. Today I'm calmer and I can create a positive and rewarding look back on this experience in my life... Finally and most importantly, thanks everyone. Thanks for standing by my side during all these years. I will never forget your support and your loyalty."

Henin won 43 WTA titles - including seven Grand Slam titles - and has been ranked No.1 for a total of 117 weeks (seventh all-time). She has amassed more than $20 million in career prize money. But more importantly than any statistic, the 5'5" Henin was renowned for her spectacular one-handed backhand, incredible athleticism and unrivalled mental fortitude and work ethic.

After retiring from tennis in 2008, Henin turned her focus to charitable work, becoming a Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF and traveling to Cambodia and the Democratic Republic of Congo in that role throughout 2009. She created the "Justine For Kids" association, the purpose of which is to help develop and fund projects to aid sick children and their families. Henin founded the "Sixth Sense Academy" in 2007 with coach Carlos Rodriguez which has five locations - three in Belgium, one in Florida and the most recent one in China.

5 comments:

Carlos said...

I never like when an athlete retires and comes back they are most of the time a shadow of their former selves. Injuries are part of the game.

Henin on the personal side I found her plain and aloof, approachable as broken glass. A news paper reporter for L.A. Times nicknamed her the "watch girl" because she snap at him in a press conference when he asked why she wore a watch when she played tennis.

On the tennis side in spite of being at 5'5 she was able to handle the towering ball bashers. Won 7 grand slams, her best surface was clay where her dominance amass greatness. Best clay court player of her generation, may rank one all time.

Henin is not the best player of her generation she never won "The 7 Rings of Hell", she is not the player with the most slams in her generation, and she will also be remembered for quitting in the middle of a grand slam final.

Overall a great career with few controversies.


Captain check your email.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

I just got on to my email! Thank you! :D

Henin, is not the best player of generation but she is the best clay courter of her generation, but of all time, I would have to say Chris Evertt or Monica Seles would be.

Defiantly a grate career, marred with controversies.

Carlos said...

You're welcome Captain.

You are right Captain after thinking about it Henin is not a top clay court player of all time. My top 3 clay court players would be: E. Evert, S. Graff, J. Henin.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

I would actually, for me, have to put Seles ahead of Henin!

I mean she only won three times, but could have won a lot more if it wasn't for her horrific incident.

Carlos said...

Although it was the ugliest incident in tennis history IMO, it lends in the "What if" category. I personally don't buy into "What ifs"

Post a Comment