Twits

Friday, January 21, 2011

Popcorn Tennis.

The upset

[23] Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) d [11] Justine Henin (BEL) 6-4 7-6(8). Few saw this coming. Kuzzie surprised the 2010 finalist with a mixture of power and precision. Henin scrambled and had her chances late in the second set, but the Russian wasn't ready to go home just yet.

Did that just happen?

After hearing that there were some sections of the media who thought her press conferences were boring, Great Dane Caroline Wozniacki decided to take matters into her own hands. Rather than taking questions from the media, Caro pre-empted and answered all questions herself. "You know, I find it quite, you know, funny because I always get the same questions. So I'm just going to start. I know what you're going to ask me already. So I'm just going to start with the answer," the world No.1 said. Following she fielded questions about global warming, cricket, what she likes in men ("Honesty. Understanding what I'm doing. Maybe a sportsperson himself.") and when she's planning on getting married and having kids ("First I have to find a guy.") Nice work, Caro.

Wish you were there

[14] Maria Sharapova (RUS) d Julia Goerges (GER) 4-6 6-4 6-4. The Australian Open 2008 champ looked like she may be on her way back before she turned the tide against German Goerges. Shazza lives to fight another day.

Need to know

Sam Stosur and Petra Kvitova have met once before at French Open 2008 - Kvitova won in straight sets. Back then though, Stosur was ranked No.149, she's now the world No.6.

View from the outer

Australian Open 2008 finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Wimbledon marathon man John Isner and 15th seed Marin Cilic can all be found at Margaret Court Arena on Saturday. While young gun Richard Berankis takes on men's seventh seed David Ferrer on Show Court 2 followed by women's 13th seed Nadia Petrova and Ekaterina Makarova in an all-Russian affair.

Be there

Rod Laver Arena night session. It's an Aussie double header at Rod Laver Arena on Saturday night. First up it's fifth seed Sam Stosur versus Brisbane International winner Petra Kvitova, followed by world No.1 Rafael Nadal and teenager Bernard Tomic. Sparks flew the last time Tomic played a night session at RLA - will Rafa send Bernard to bed early or will the teenager stay up late and cause some havoc?

It'll be a long drive home for …

Viktor Troicki. After pushing compatriot Novak Djokovic to five sets in the first round of the US Open last year, Troicki will be unhappy with the outcome of today's match. After losing the first set 6-2, Troicki called time citing a stomach strain.

What did you say?

Reigning French Open champion Francesca Schiavone copped some random questions today.

Q: Can you tell us a few words about Kim Clijsters? (Schiavone and Clijsters are in opposite halves of the draw.)

Francesca: Yeah, but why Kim?

Q: Just in general, what can you tell us about her comeback?

Francesca: You know who is Kim. I think I don't have to tell you who is.

Q: Did things change in Italy after winning the French Open? Did you receive more invitations for TV shows, for example?

Francesca: You didn't read the newspaper?

Q: Yeah, I did.

Francesca: I think they ask me 100 time [already].

A little known fact about

Caroline Wozniacki. The world No.1 likes to bake and played the piano until the age of 13. Just don't ask her about whether or not she deserves being No.1 without having won a Grand Slam tournament

Via: Australian Open 

2 comments:

Carlos said...

That is the reason why I call Francesca "The Annoying Italian Thing". She is not funny.

I'll say it again Divapova is going down in the fourth round.

Just retire again Henin.

Good matches at Rod Laver Arena. If the Rafa match starts somewhere past 10 PM will the kid be breaking curfew?

I like Tsonga. All Russians affairs are not good in fact they are awful, don't expect a classic between Petrova and Makarova.

I have crackpot theory about The Big Bunny: Remember Kournikova when she was on tour she always denied the rumors she had a romatic relationship with Sergei Fedorov. Years later after Kournikova retired, Federov came out publicly and said that he married and divorced Kournikova. So much when Kournkova said, "I haven't given my affections to anyone". What's all this have to do with The Big Bunny? Well I seen her in what is consider in the U.S. a marriage ring. Before the Rolex endorsement she wore a ring on her left hand in the finger that is between the little finger and the big finger; in the U.S. anyone who wears a ring in that finger is because the person is married. Single people in the U.S. will not wear a ring in that finger men or women. The Bunny stopped wearing the ring after she started wearing the Rolex, I guess not to distract people from seeing her Rolex. However I went to Wikipedia and searched for marriage rings. It turns out that people in Poland who are married wear marriage rings on that same finger but in the right hand. The Bunny always wears a ring in that finger on court and off. So my crackpot theory is that she is married. If Kournikova was able to hide her marriage with all the media scrutiny so will The Bunny. :P

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

I know that was so boring! She could have made some fun out of it!

I agree, completely Petkovic is a better player than her IMO.

YES! Justine, just go!

Most probably, I can not stand Tomic! He his painful, and on the other hand am in love with Rafa! Ahaha.

I like Tsonga also, he is good for the tour! I am not expecting a good match between Petrova and Makarova.

In Australia a ring on the left "ring finger" also indicates engagement or marriage! To be honest I had no idea she had signed with Rolex! Ahahah :S Yeah In the European culture the wedding rings go on the right hand! I had the same thing about Henin, as since the Hopman Cup I have noticed a ring on her left finger, My mother then responded to say "Don't be stupid in Europe they put the ring on the right hand! And wouldn't she be more the type for a 'commitment ceremony'" And if Kournikova can do it, anyone can!

Post a Comment