Twits

Friday, January 7, 2011

Petko dances past Jarka. I enjoy on-court coaching for first time!

Last night German Andrea Petkovic downed Australian Jarmilla Groth 6-3 6-4 to advance to the semi's of the Brisbane International for the second consecutive year.

Boosted by a home crowed and riding the form that saw her up set top seed Samantha Stosur, Jarka started strong taking the first two games and holding points for a 3-0, double break lead. Admittedly Petko is a "diesel" and takes a while to warm up, but when she does, she is red hot. Andrea stepped up her game and reeled six of the last seven games of the first set.

The second set was slightly closer how ever, it was one pivotal break that was vital for Petko and then eventually saw the end of the match. In the semi's Andrea will meet 4th seed Marion Bartoli.

Through out the whole match Jarka never stopped going for her shots and managed to find the top of the tape, many time too often.

On the two occasions Jarka called coach, and husband, Sam Groth to the court, I had a smile on my face for the first time ever after some one called for on-court coaching.

Jarka was obviously frustrated with her self, and who better to take it out on than your husband!? And thus it became apparent Jarka is like Beepa but Auslovakian!

A little of what transpired;

J - "TELL ME WHAT TO DO!"

S - "Don't hit to her forehand all the time"

J - "YOU TOLD ME TO HIT TO HER FOREHAND"

S - "I said make her play the forehand, make her run to it"

J - "I look like a f****** tourist"

S - "No you don't"

J - "Are you watching this!?"

Jarmila explained her self in the post match interview and praised Petkovic's game but admitted she struggled badly with the heavy conditions, prompting her to let her frustrations out at her husband.

"I guess you have to get angry at someone and I couldn't break any racquets because I just got them,' she said.

'He always knows I didn't mean it.

'As frustrated as I was to try and figure out what I needed to do different I technically couldn't.

'Today it just wasn't working.'

Groth said her husband had taken over the on-court coaching duties with Hopper not on the ground in Brisbane.

'He just told me pretty much exactly what I was doing wrong,' she said.

'He was trying to be supportive.

'In parts I got really frustrated with myself because the idea I had in my head I couldn't put in on court and it was pretty hard."

No comments:

Post a Comment