Twits

Friday, January 21, 2011

Sveta downs Henin.


Justine Henin was eliminated in the third round of the Australian Open, losing 6-4 7-6(8) to Svetlana Kuznetsova just a year after reaching the final in her comeback to Grand Slam tennis.

t was Henin's first loss in a major to Kuznetsova, the former French and U.S. Open champion, and her worst run at a Grand Slam event since Wimbledon in 2005.

Henin was only weeks into a comeback from a career break from the tour when she lost the final last year to Serena Williams, the third time in four appearances that she'd reached the championship match at Melbourne. Her comeback season was derailed when she injured her right elbow at Wimbledon and didn't play again in 2010.

Earlier, Caroline Wozniacki beat Dominika Cibulkova 6-4 6-3 to reach the fourth round and avenge last week's loss in a tuneup tournament. French Open champion Francesca Schiavone also moved on, beating Monica Niculescu of Romania 6-0 7-6(2).

Wozniacki, playing her first Grand Slam as the world No. 1, advanced to the fourth round for the seventh consecutive major but has yet to win one of tennis' marquee events. The 20-year-old Danish player can hold onto the No. 1 ranking by reaching the semifinals in Australia.

Wozniacki said last week's loss to Cibulkova in Sydney helped her prepare for the rematch and she was confident she could continue the success she had last year, when she won a tour-leading six titles from eight finals.

"It's a new year. I'm in the fourth round here. It's good," she said.

Also advancing were No. 8 Victoria Azarenka, who beat Chanelle Scheepers 6-3 6-3, and ninth seed Li Na, who defeated Barbora Zahlavova Strycova 6-2 6-1.

And with Henin gone, I couldn't be happier!

2 comments:

Carlos said...

Streaming on line killed me today.

Cibulkova had her chances. In the first set at 4-4 and in the second when she was down 3-4. Her anger got in the way. I one instance she was throwing her hair from one side to the other violently.

I thought Kuzzie would win in straight sets but to an easier score. Of course is Kuzzie. The tie break was a nail biter, which brings the question why didn't Kuzzie step it up earlier in the set. Due to circumstances I didn't see the first set. I grabbed my cell to watch an online stream but the feed kept freezing. The tennis coverage didn't begin until 8 PM local time. When I got to it was the tie break 4-4. Enough about my rant.

Th Big Stuffed Bunny, Azarenka, and Kuzzie, haven't drop a set.

I'll add Henin to the your list of evil ones. :P I also don't like her.

Divapova won another 2 hour plus match, she won't last. I predict she will go down in the next round.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

Both matches were frustrating to watch, Cibulkova wasted so many chance, and for some reason I always thought throughout the match Kuzzie would have loose, despite her leading!

Kuzzie could have won the second set 6-2 (Henin played a shocker of a service game 2-4 down, managed to survive) then she served at 5-4 and lost, she broke to lead 6-5 I was sure she would serve there...but she didn't, because she is Russian. The tie breaker, was so intense it was amazing! at about 1 or 2 in the morning a TV Station here play "Australian Open Classics" I have no doubt this match will feature soon!

I am still pick Azarenka to come out on top of this half!

Henin is the top of my lidt of evil ones, I never really cared for her much, but after that 2006 Australian Open final, I can not stand her! Its puzzling why people actually do like her!

I think Goreges had a bit of a choke! Her inexperience cost her this match, The Divapova played, a player of the caliber of Venus Williams would have taken it too her and won very convincingly!

Petko or Venus will beat her!

BTW, look for some drama in the four women's day matches tomorrow, (Vera, APav, Pennetta and Kim, I plan to attend each! So guaranteed drama! Ahahha

Post a Comment