Twits

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

History Writer - An Autobiography by Li Na...

Li Na has become the first Chinese player to reach the quarter-finals of the French Open. The Australian Open runner-up again impressed with her dogged determination, as she came from a set down to outlast Czech ninth seed Petra Kvitova.

Australian Open runner-up Li Na reached the quarterfinals of the French Open with a 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 win over Petra Kvitova on Monday and became the first Chinese player to advance that far at the clay-court Grand Slam.

Li has reached the quarterfinals at all four major tournaments and will next play either Victoria Azarenka or Ekaterina Makarova.

Kvitova broke the sixth-seeded Li twice in the opening set, but the ninth-seeded Czech dropped serve twice in the second set as Li won five games in a row to even the score.

Li lost her serve in the second game of the deciding set when she double-faulted, but Kvitova failed to extend her lead as the Czech player lost the final six games of the match.

Kvitova was also looking for a maiden quarterfinal appearance on the Parisian clay.

Three other Asian women have reached the quarterfinals at Roland Garros in the Open era: Kazuko Sawamatsu and Kimiko Date-Krumm of Japan, and Kazakh player Yaroslava Shvedova

6 comments:

Carlos said...

This side of the draw doesn't appeal to me.


I'm taking Sponge Bart Square Pants and Pavs. I hope the hairless Furby can prove me wrong once again.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

It didn't appeal to me after Goerges lost :(

Sponge Bart and Fruby Fran are definatly the picks for the SF's although Pavs and Sveta are capable, will probably come down to how the play!

Carlos said...

I'm still bum about the Ostrich's fourth round loss...OK I'm over it.

Gorgeous J. should had made a deep run in this tournament.

In other words today's matches are a toss up.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

I was very disapointed wither her RG campaign. Should have beaten Sponge Bart. Don't know what Julia's grass court game is like...I look forward to finding out soon! Maybe a deep run in Wimby!

Perhaps she was "profit" in your Wimbledon dream :P

Carlos said...

Surprised and glad that you remember my Wimbledon dream Captain. I hope I have another dream to find out who wins it. One thing, in the dream I received the photo in an email from you. My theory is, if you had or have a dream of who wins Wimbledon that would be the winner.



Today I was thinking about the Ostrich's style of play on grass and it can lethal IMO. No, I don't see her winning maybe a deep run.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

If I have a Wimbledon dream, I'll be sure to let you know!

Ostrich needs a deep run too, after making the SF last year, although shouldn't affect her too much, unless she looses like 2nd round, but I think she will good for atleast a QF spot, and a good chance for a final.

Post a Comment