Twits

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

So I was mentioned on Radio Roland Garros...Oh there were some matched played too.

So I was watching the point IBM slamtracker on the RG website and listening to Radio Roland Garros while also watching MasterChef. The commentators were discussing the shortest player on the tours. So I, in all my glorious wisdom, decided to tweet them up and through Amanda Coetzer in the discussion. I had no idea they would mention my tweet let alone my name let alone the blog! So that's my new claim to fame.

And now to the tennis; nearly all the seeds advanced as they should with the exception of Petrova and Zakopalova, sorry but I can't even pretend to be surprised here. Petrova was sent packing by Australian Anastasia Rodionova 6-7 6-3 6-4 and Zakopalova was beaten by Chinese Taipei qualifier 7-5 6-1. The only pleasing note of Petrova's career at the moment is that she has toned down her attire sporting a much more subtle outfit than what she would normal...and it was a nice breath of fresh air for her. And I would now be able to view her match with out holding back laughter at her chosen or not-so chosen attire. There was one more on-paper upset as the spiraling down Aravane Rezai was bounced from Roland Garros 6-3 6-3 by Irina-Camelia Begu. Again, one positive Rezai along with other French players will be wearing a black ribbon in honour of Virginie Razzano's late fiance.

Things went easier for the other seeds in action led by top seed Caroline Wozniacki who defeated Japanese come back Queen Kimiko Date Krumm 6-0 6-2 and third seeded Vera Zvonereva showed a better performance on clay scoring a 6-3 6-3 victory over Lourdes Dominguez Lino. Zvonereva's result is relieving as she has struggled to transfer smoothly to clay and is yet to really have a solid performance on the red dirt this year.

12th and 25th seeds Agnieszka Radwanska and Maria Kirilenko advanced with routine 6-1 6-2 and 7-6 6-2 victories respectively. Sania Mirza advanced easily and will now play Radwanska in the second round. Other winners included 16th seed Kaia Kanepi, 9th seed Petra Kvitova, 29th seed Peng Shuai and 28th seed Daniela Hantuchova.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha the announcer is ragging on Imbecile for clenching her first on every point! He thinks she 'overdoes' it.. Ya think??

Anonymous said...

From the announcer:

Ya hear her going "yah" after her opponent missed it.. That's mickey mouse, amateur hour..

Carlos said...

Over slept!


The good news is The Fist Pumping Imbecile lost. I'm not surprised, former champions are some times past their prime as with the case of this one slam wonder. This is the perfect example why she earned the title of Imbecile, over the top fist pumping and celebrating on her opponent's missed shots. Great tennis players don't celebrate when an opponent misses a shot.


The upset of the day V. King upset the diminutive Cibulkova.

Nina Camara said...

Congrats to your mention on the radio,the players did a good job, too :-). Ana has once again shown why I think she may be leaving top 50 this season. I also rant about it on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I think Cibulkova had some sorta injury recently.. I'm thinking abdominal. Not sure if this factored in her loss or not.

Can't believe Vesnina lost.

Kimmie looks a lot thinner in her legs plus I like this 'recreation' outfit from her youth. Nice colors! (Read about that on http://www.womenstennisblog.com/)

Will have to check your blog out Marine.. Just bookmarked it for later viewing.

Emily or as Carlos likes to call me "Captain" said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I just lost my comment! Can't be bother retyping it all so here it is in shot -

Marine;
- love your article
- ana cant blame coaches its her own problem she can't get it together
- my example AFL football (Ill explain later)

Caps321;
- love Fila's 100 year thing
- not a huge fan of the outfit
- love the colours
- not a fan of the top

Nina Camara said...

Thanks Emily. I like Ana but when I found this interview I can help but detect a bit of a primadonna here who just doesn't like to hear criticism. I think she hovers in this victim bubble to protect herself from the reality.

Nina Camara said...

correction: ...can't help...

Post a Comment